Wednesday, 06 February 2013 16:06
United Physicians is partnering with Altarum Institute to help curb unnecessary medical imaging as part of a federal Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI) grant.
This three-year project will:
- Embed clinical guidelines in the image ordering process.
- Leverage health information exchange capabilities to increase awareness of past imaging results, and
- Use patient education campaigns to offset patient-induced demand for unnecessary imaging.
For this project, a High Tech Imaging Steering Committee (HiTiSC) was created to:
In essence, this project is about empowering physicians to provide better care by making it a little easier to decide when to order an imaging study. In the coming weeks UP will be contacting several practices, including PCPs and specialists, to work in the pilot program as we develop and implement a computerized decision support tool to guide physicians into ordering the appropriate studies
- Provide clinical oversight for the project, and
- Provide physician input into the guideline development process